Re: [LUG] Scottish firm pays out £120,000 over unlicensed software

Rob Beard wrote:
> Anyway to get to the point, I'd be interested to know if unlicensed
> software on a staff members personal machine counts if it's been used on
> a company network.
>
> Rob
If they're using it for company business then their employer might get
hit for vicarious liability if caught.  I'm no lawyer, but having done a
couple of years in uni with at least one module covering law as it
applies to IT, I *think* that could happen.  It's the old 'you are
liable for what they do on your premises and how they do it' argument.
A judge might say that the employer should make sure the staff are all
equipped *legally* to carry out their duties.

They could even go at the employer if the computer in question *isn't*
being used for business, simply because it's on the premises and the
employer has responsibility for what happens there.

I'm not aware of this being tested in court but it would be an
interesting one.

Kind regards,

Julian