Re: [LUG] Scottish firm pays out £120,000 over unlicensed software

Rob Beard wrote:
> I'd have thought a company this size would have some sort of Microsoft
> licencing agreement in place anyway (whatever it's called these says,
> Software Assurance isn't it?)

That's pretty much what I meant - whatever the software I cannot see how
volume licensing would have totted up to £1200 per machine.  I can't
find any quotes online, but the Student MS Office 3 user license for a
consumer from Amazon is under £60, so that's less than £20 per machine.
You'd need 60 similar priced pieces of software to get near £1200.

I know my university has a volume license agreement for students at the
very least.  All us students can get MS software free under the Software
Assurance agreement.  The course director sends them an email with the
software title e.g. Visual Studio 6, accompanied by our university email
address and we get an email from MSDN with a uid and pwd.  We then login
to get the registration code.  The software itself is usually provided
on CD by the course director.

It's not a bad system and I would actually like to see more companies
doing it.  For example we had a single assignment to do in Macromedia
Flash, and in order to work over the holidays we would have had to spend
over £300 each just to get Flash for *one* assignment.  Needless to say
on a student budget that's stretching things to breaking point.

Kind regards,

Julian