Re: [LUG] little Linux story...

Simon Robert writes:
> On Mon, 2008-12-15 at 09:06 +0000, Rob Beard wrote:
>> jon.davey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> one, perhaps the, greatest differences between a linux distro and other
> well known operating systems is that software comes from a repository
> specific to the distro. Sorry if I'm teaching a granny to suck eggs so
> to speak.
>
> There are very few occasions where you need to do anything but fire up
> synaptic, particularly with ubuntu which has pretty much every
> application you could want in the repositories.
>
> There is a good article on this at
> http://wiki.eeeuser.com/guidebooks:how_linux_software_installation_works
>
> It took me a while to figure this out when I started to use linux,
> resulting in many frigged systems and hours of wasted time.
>
> Should you need a list of ubuntu repositories I'd be happy to mail you
> the contents of my sources.list file. I think it has all the standard
> stuff, along with the media ones needed for codecs etc.
>
> Once again sorry if this condescending and you are well aware of all
> this.
>
> Simon

..I guess it's a case of, I know this but it's no second nature. I ran
Debian for a while and the way of using the repositories did begin to sink
in. I have even looked into some really good alternatives for some music
programs that I thought I needed which only ran on WIndows. THe last 6
months of using Vista have put me back into old bad habbits...