Re: [LUG] little Linux story...

On Mon, 2008-12-15 at 09:06 +0000, Rob Beard wrote:
> jon.davey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > Rob Beard writes:
> >
> >> jon.davey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

one, perhaps the, greatest differences between a linux distro and other
well known operating systems is that software comes from a repository
specific to the distro. Sorry if I'm teaching a granny to suck eggs so
to speak.

There are very few occasions where you need to do anything but fire up
synaptic, particularly with ubuntu which has pretty much every
application you could want in the repositories.

There is a good article on this at
http://wiki.eeeuser.com/guidebooks:how_linux_software_installation_works

It took me a while to figure this out when I started to use linux,
resulting in many frigged systems and hours of wasted time.

Should you need a list of ubuntu repositories I'd be happy to mail you
the contents of my sources.list file. I think it has all the standard
stuff, along with the media ones needed for codecs etc.

Once again sorry if this condescending and you are well aware of all
this.

Simon