Re: [LUG] little Linux story...

jon.davey@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> OK, the curser on my laptop running Vista just disapears. I spend ages
> trying to fix it cos there was some mp3s I didn't want to loose but loose
> the will to try any more and nip down to the newsagents, pick up a copy of
> Linux Format with a shiny new copy of the latest Ubuntu. Install it with
> absolute ease. Actually the easiest instillation I've ever done in fact and
> it's running a traet, looks really nice. That was gonna be it, just a nice
> little story about how much I like the new Ubuntu but I need a bit of advise
> on installing  Java for Firefox.
>   THe instructions are;
>   1. Install Java Runtime Environment.
>   2. Make a symbolic link to libjavaplugin_oji.so in your Mozilla Plugins
> directory. Use the copy located in the plugin/i386/ns7 directory of JRE 5.0
> or later, or plugin/i386/ns610-gcc32 if you are using JRE 1.4.2.
> ....so, OK, fair enough. Except I don't know how to make a symbolic link. I
> don't expect it's too difficult. Should I google it? Or is it more complex
> that that?
> CHeers, JOn DAvey

I can't see why you should need to create symbolic links for Java, I've
managed it by just installing sun-java6-jre and sun-java6-plugin.

This should help...

http://en.kioskea.net/faq/sujet-741-installing-java-under-ubuntu

This is assuming though that you're running the standard 32-bit version
of Ubuntu and not the 64-Bit AMD64/EM64T version (which from what I
understand you do need to do a bit more messing around to get Firefox
and Java to work together.

Good to hear your experience with Ubuntu was good.  Chances are you
should also be able to mount your NTFS partition in Ubuntu to retrieve
those MP3s too.  The NTFS partition should pop up under places.  It'll
probably ask for your login password when you select it but then as long
as Windows was shutdown correctly you should be able to mount it (if not
you'll need to run ntfsfix /dev/sdX (where /dev/sdX corresponds to the
partition number which Vista is installed on, you'll also need the
ntfsprogs package installed too).

Rob