Re: [LUG] HSBC (Corporate) and Firefox. Reply from HSBC

On Fri, Aug 01, 2008 at 03:42:27PM +0100, Robin Cornelius wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 3:34 PM, Henry Bremridge

> > Hello Henry
> >
> > Thank you for your feedback.
> >
> > Unfortunately, HSBCnet does not fully support Firefox at present, you may refer
> > to the `Getting Started' guide under `Useful Links' on the post logon page to
> > view the `Minimum System Requirements'. However, we do acknowledge and recognise
> > the growing market of alternative browsers and are currently investigating ways
> > to introduce the appropriate levels of support for Firefox. Whilst we do not yet
> > have a confirmed date for this support we have kept a record of your details and
> > will keep you informed of any developments in this regard.
> >
> > Your comments are extremely valuable in assisting us to understand your needs
> > and we would  welcome any other proposals you have on improving the HSBCnet
> > service.
> >

> I would be very interested to know how they *Support* Internet
> Explorer? and as changing the use agent allows other browsers to
> connect perfectly, why they are clearly discriminating and not
> supporting in anyway.

Changing the use agent has no effect: it seems to be a problem with a
reauthentication using their onetime key pad. (Basically because this is the
Corporate Banking system they seem to have tougher security controls than the
personal: so not only do you have to log in to use the system you also have to relog
in to eg approve a payment. Needless to say the overall system prevents one person
from both preparing a payment and approving it).

Supporting I/E seems to be a misnomer. The minimum specs are:
- Microsoft 98 and above (Vista is not mentioned)
- Microsoft Java Machine

I have called them before on this and each time I get the same response: please
ensure your machine complies with the minimum specs.

Last night at the meeting I was advised that Fedora and Firefox have no problems.
Debian and Ubuntu (tried both) will not work. Very irritating but then HSBC are
however improving slowly: as of 3 months ago I could not log into their corporate
system at all, now I can log in but cannot approve a payment.

--
Henry
Photocopies or faxes of my signature are not binding. Electronic documents