Re: [LUG] Data centre in Cornwall

On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 1:43 PM, Kai Hendry <hendry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 2008-08-01T01:31+0100 Adrian Midgley wrote:
>> Are there any flooded mines that could supply cold water?
>
> I think the "cooling problem" with data centres is overstated. I think
> there was some BBC programme recently that etched this into people's
> heads. I don't think water cooling is necessary. Though Praze Farm has a
> stream and two springs.
>
> Btw, did you know it is much more expensive to heat a home than to cool
> it?  I read that in WIRED magazine a couple of months ago.

Depends on the technology used. Most AC systems (that are any good)
are heat pumps and that means they have a C.O.P > 1.0 so for every 1kW
of electrical energy you put in you may get 2-3kW of cooling power
(this is just thermodynamics not free energy). But most heat pumps are
also reversible so they can heat as well and give similar benefits
W.R.T systems with a C.O.P of 1.0 like electric fan heaters etc.

Of cause all the usual insulation, ambient effects, Delta temperatures
all come into play and make heating or cooling more favorable in
certain conditions.

Robin