Re: [LUG] Camera choice

On Mon, 2008-05-05 at 20:45 +0100, Simon Williams wrote:
> Simon Waters wrote:
> > want a Digital camera that "just works" with GNU/Linux. Ideally GNOME
> > tools...
> > I guess USB or 802.11b interface would be best.
>
> Any sensible camera is a USB mass storage device and "just works".

Concur.

> > Something I can't break would also be good, as I have a deadly effect on
> > most cameras. So fiddly bits, dodgy plastic covers, or easily breakable
> > components are probably best avoided.
>
> My Casio Exilim Z-850 is a metal body. The only time you get anything
> you might break (other than the lens when out, but somehow I think you
> need that!) is when you open the battery cover.

I have a very similar Casio.

> > Also something with long battery life or easily recharged (such as via
> > USB

I'm not sure USB can realistically provide enough power - my Palm takes
overnight to charge over USB but usually less than an hour to charge
from mains - and that is USB from a normal desktop machine, USB charging
is a killer for laptops.

> - please not another transformer to plug in).

Sadly, the Exilim comes with a cradle and transformer. The battery life
is really very good so you only need the cradle and cables at home
(unless you are going to take hundreds of photos or use the flash
constantly).

> Although I have a
> > steady charging of AA and AAA batteries here for torches, remotes,
> > pagers etc, so I guess they would be fine as well.
>
> Mmm. The rest of my family has Nikon/Canon cameras which take AA's and
> always found them very annoying.

Any normal battery just dies when put into a digital camera - especially
if you use battery power for syncing the camera with a computer.

> > Other thing I've found with Digital cameras are...
> >  They can be slow to take a picture (point, click, scene changes,
> > picture of what is there now, argh... Digital technology should be quick).

There is always a delay between hitting the "shutter release" and the
actual photo. You need a very expensive professional camera to deal with
that - or just do what most people do and take it into account.

--

Neil Williams