Re: [LUG] Camera choice

Hi there

I have to agree with the earlier posts in that any main stream digital
camera should be saving to the memory card in a standard form (my
nikon f50 has Raw and jpeg. i can literally stick this in a usb card
reader and drag and drop the pictures to my pc).

Any half decent camera will come with a wall charger which will
typically take 4 hours to charge. A point to note about battery life
is that using lcd screens (ie compact cameras) uses the juice really
fast - with a camera with a old fashioned eye site you can take the
photos without the lcd ever turning on - increasing the life
dramatically. I can take up to around 1500 photos ( i study
architecture and take lots) on a single battery life - that is about 6
gb of data with my camera.

Ultimately the camera you should get is determined by the photos you
wish to take. if its animals you need one with a larger optical zoom
if its family photos you want one with low light as alot of photos are
indoors and this stops them from getting fuzzy. If you want to take
photos of plants a good macro is desirable.

I would recomend the fuji compact range, i have an f10 - there first
generation and it is still fantastic today - i would never get rd of
it. the f20 is good as is the f30. (though i like the f20 more) these
cameras are simple to use and very good at low light - ideal for every
day use.

lastly i would like to point out that you really dont need anymore
then 6 megapixels. you will find that if you get the larger ones you
will end up not using the ful amount as it goes through your memory
reallly fast and what many people dont realize is you sacrifice
permorance for the extra pixels. the reason is that the cmos (the
light receptive chip where the actual pixles are located) is
physically limited. so it makes sense that the more pixels you cram on
there the smaller each pixel will physically have to be the less
actual light can hit that pixel. This means that the larger number of
pixel cameras require more light to achieve the same shot - meaning a
larger aperture, higher iso or longer shutter speed is required - each
of which has its draw backs. though a larger aperture is the least of
the three - so take this to max first.

Sorry to bable on but the only exception to this statement comes from
learnign the hard way - i have found that my 6 mega pixels is
absolutely fine for almost anything - but for architecture and
graphics the higher quality images are desirable and so more mega
pixels are required.

I am using an slr nikon d50 with 4 lens and am now looking to buy a
new body called the fuji s5 - but i still sware by the f10. apart from
that i would get a fixed slr cannon with the biggest optical zoom i
could fined.

my tippents
dan