[LUG] Camera choice

Hi,

want a Digital camera that "just works" with GNU/Linux. Ideally GNOME
tools...

I guess USB or 802.11b interface would be best.

I've no ambitions to be a great photographer, I need something I can
point and click, and get something vaguely reasonable out most of the
time. So automatic flash, auto-focus, auto everything(?).

Something I can't break would also be good, as I have a deadly effect on
most cameras. So fiddly bits, dodgy plastic covers, or easily breakable
components are probably best avoided.

Also something with long battery life or easily recharged (such as via
USB - please not another transformer to plug in). Although I have a
steady charging of AA and AAA batteries here for torches, remotes,
pagers etc, so I guess they would be fine as well.

Other thing I've found with Digital cameras are...
 They can be slow to take a picture (point, click, scene changes,
picture of what is there now, argh... Digital technology should be quick).

 The user interfaces can be bewildering complex. I don't want to have to
learn more than about 15 minutes of manual, and definitely no learning
of bizarre symbols that mean things, anything beyond a lighting like
symbol for flash is going to be forgotten in 10 minutes.

So I guess "fast and simple" is what I want...... Probably the exact
opposite of what most camera fanatics wants.

Oh and loads of memory - but I guess that comes down to SD cards or
other plug-in storage. But I'm happy to take a zillion pictures and
throw away lots, than struggle to try and take one good one.

Any recommendations?