Re: [LUG] Pondering upon Debian

Dave Berkeley wrote:
> I'm all Ubuntu these days (3 laptops and 2 desktops). It is easy to install
> and set up, and life is too short to be worrying about things that have
> changed since the last install. The only problem I've had was during an
> update that broke my WiFi link. I had to plug into a wired network to fix it.

I think this is a key point.

Ubuntu may release more often, but they also create a lot more breakage.
I'm guessing most folks don't care about the odd bit of breakage,
especially when a million other folk have the same problem the fix is
usually quite quick. Heck I run Debian unstable and the breakage (such
as it is) isn't really much of an issue (MS Windows is worse than unstable).

Certainly up to Etch the Ubuntu install was a LOT easier. But even with
Etch I'd had the odd install issue. I think the point is, once Debian is
installed it is still easier than Ubuntu. I don't recognise the polish
comment - if Ubuntu had more polish they wouldn't keep breaking stuff
that "just works" on Debian releases.

I also installed Ubuntu at one point because I had a CD to hand, which
is down to Debian marketing.

But yes, they are much of a muchness - the interesting question is why
Debian and derivatives over the competing distros.

I think Novell shot itself in the foot politically.

Redhat though are doing really interesting server side stuff, but I've
seen precious few Fedora desktops since they made the switch from Redhat
9 to Fedora.

But I'm looking at the SELINUX stuff, all nicely prepackaged in Redhat
thinking I could have some of that, although I probably just ought to
brave it under Debian and see. What ReiserFS an issue :(

Need to persuade Christel to provide some (free) training.....