Re: [LUG] Helping newbies

On Fri, 2008-02-15 at 19:47 +0000, Eion MacDonald wrote:

> 1. Ubuntu has an automatic upgrade system, notification, and accept is
> all user does.(like windows)
> 2. If kernel upgraded, it needs a reboot. Rewrites GRUB with new Ubuntu
> as the default system. (First entry in Grub menu.1st)
> This overwrites the old Grub with windows as default i.e first active
> choice in menu.1st
This has never happened to me. Neither with kernel updates(?) nor a
complete upgrade of everything to 7.10 from 7.04. Are you doing
something in between - a kernel upgrade as such seems strange to my
limited understanding, as the next complete distro has a later kernel
and everything tuned to that in it.

> 3. For this reason, which has occurred too many times for me to see as
> an intermittent problem, if using Ubuntu or SuSE (she prefers SuSE as a
> second system ),my wife never responds to 'updates available' button in
> Ubuntu leaving for me to update.
It seems to be updated 2 or 3 times a week, with one thing or another.
Superb process. It's always interesting to turn on the terminal to see
exactly what is happening.

BTW I get an error message at times in the terminal display saying
device number 169 is not configured. How do I determine what such a
device might be and configure it when I next get the message?

Thanks.
--
james kilty
http://www.kilty.demon.co.uk