Re: [LUG] Helping newbies

james kilty wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-02-15 at 12:25 +0000, John Hansen wrote:
>
>> Yes I shall write to them giving my reasons.
> Excellent. Who knows they may listen.
>> I may also ask why they
>> continue to included large DVD files with distros. I assume this is to
>> justify a high cover price as few will need all these distros.
> For £6.49 (reduced on subscription) I actually find it good. This time,
> there are 10 distros including Debian and Virtualbox as an option to try
> them all - apart from having 5 livve distros and the rest with .isos.
>
> Nevertheless the online tux mag looks OK. Maybe there are others we can
> bring together as a beginners' resource.

Major problem with most Gnu/Linux distros for newbies is the loss of a
default MS Windows while they dual boot on a Linux kernal upgrade, even
in Ubuntu, which is some what easier on upgrades than others. Editing
GRUB is not for newbies so a 'push' upgrade like last few days  renders
them with unbootable windows, and only Linux, This is major point to
teach newbies how to edit grub.
I always introduce Linux via a Live distro for this reason, they still
have there old comfort win OS still active.
PS rescuing a defunct windows system with Knoppix *really* makes converts!
regards
Eion MacDonald