Re: [LUG] Helping newbies - magaznes

I think you'll find that Tux has turned up it's toes.  The web site is up and
running but the last magazine on there was some time the beginning of last
year.  It was a great mag, unbeatable for newbies and probably still worth
looking through the old issues, bearing in mind that they are a bit outdated.

I've only been running Linux for about 9 months so I'm still a newbie but I
love Linux Format.  I've looked at the others and there is nothing else out
there to touch it, but it has it's faults.  Next issue will be interesting as
they've said they're improving their pages on basics.

On the subject of newbies, I noticed the bit this week about finding out what
memory you have by running
lshw -C memory
in a terminal.  When I tried it I got "command not recognised".  I
thought "How can this be?  Surely Bash has a fixed set of commands."  This
was in Mepis so I tried it in Edubuntu which I also have loaded at the moment
and it worked as it should.  After kicking it around a bit (and the cat) I
read my Linux Pocket Guide to find that Bash also runs applications as well
as it's internal command structure, and lshw is an application.  Installed by
default in Edubuntu but not in Mepis.  And, of course, we are told to open
applications from a terminal all the time so it should have been blindingly
obvious.  Shouldn't it?  I installed lshw in Mepis, gave the cat some salmon
and peace is restored.

It explains some funny results I've had doing other things as instructed by
Linux Format and this list etc. etc.

George