Re: [LUG] Helping newbies

On Thu, 2008-02-14 at 12:23 +0000, Neil Winchurst wrote:
> There has been a lot of correspondence recently about FLOSS in schools
> and some about encouraging Windows users to try Linux,,,,,,,

When I started using Windows, I learnt the most from PC Magazines rather
than searching for info on the net. With Linux, the situation has been
the complete opposite.

The only Linux Magazine I read is LXF. Much of the content in this went
right over my head, when I was starting out with Linux. Now, I
understand much more of it but, still, about 25% it too technical for
me. However, I do find it both useful and interesting, now. People can
read magazines when they are travelling to work, sitting in waiting
rooms etc. and I think that a magazine for Windows / New Linux Users
would help a great deal to educate them and increase usage.

I have suggested to the editor that there should be more content
suitable for newbies or perhaps, even better, a separate magazine for
them (Like PC Answers for Windows Users). I have offered to put together
a suggested format for them but, they don't want to know.

IMO, LXF only pay lip service to the needs of new users and really wish
to return to the days when Linux was the too hard to use for anyone but,
the most technically minded. They resist any suggestions for more basic,
plainly written articles that would be useful for new users and I have
an email from them which confirms this.

Viv