Re: [LUG] FLOSS in schools

Paul Sutton wrote:
> Grant Sewell wrote:
>> On Tue, 05 Feb 2008 18:33:00 +0000
>> Paul Sutton wrote:

>>> I agree,  lets just do it,  (see below) I am more than keen to get
>>> involved with this.

>>> The latest buzz word in schools is "learning platforms"  essentially
>>> online learning so the students can continue at home, and submit work
>>> and collaborate with classmates while at hone on projects.
>>>
>>> The leading platform for this is moodle,  there are offerings by
>>> companies such as RM (yeah I know) but its closed source etc,  moodle
>>> however is the most used world wide,  is available to everyone.
>>> There was an article on the site a while back or linked from the site
>>> that looked at both commercial and the oss offerings,  not sure where
>>> it is, a hard copy is at work in the staff room.
>>>
>>> Anyway I printed this off and its currently in the school staff room
>>>
>>> suffice to say if we are to offer such services to schools they must
>>>
>>> be affordable to the school as no extra money is in the budget for
>>> this be a complete package, we need to approach schools sell moodle
>>> by its strength, and world wide usage.
>>> ask what happens if you goto suppplier X,  you get staff trained up,
>>> that person leaves,  to replace with a person with package X skills
>>> you are going to end up paying more
>>> go with moodle and there is a much larger pool of staff to
>>> potentially fill that gap in  staffing,
>>> a complete package may be,  for one school hosting,  cost per month
>>> low,  initial set up,  training, tech support, etc etc, all need to
>>> be offered.  I
>>>
>>> I think as a lug we need to actually get together,  and perhaps set
>>> something up,   there are people here with all the required skills to
>>> setup a business,  and there are people like looking for work /
>>> training and want to get involved,
>>>
>>> I alone could probably get moodle up and running on debian. apt-get
>>> install moodle. but it needs someone who knows and understand
>>> education to get the most from it.   we can offer a package to local
>>> schools but all work together on this one,  perhaps set up a devon
>>> and cornwall moodle mailing list,  which can also be used by schools
>>> to find staff, etc.
>>>
>>> Its possible, i just have no idea regarding how to set up a business
>>> for this type of things,  but the opportunity is there we just need
>>> to grab it before someone like RM get in there and charge what ever
>>> they charge per month for hosting,
>>>
>>> get moodle in to schools show how good OSS is,  and its a stepping
>>> stone to other OSS software in schools.   and we are there to help
>>> support it,
>>>
>>> Paul
>>>
>> Was going to split up your message and reply to it piecemeal, but
>> decided against it as it all fits together nicely.
>>
>> Anyway, to my point... it's would also be worth mentioning to the
>> Schools that the local Colleges also use Moodle.  Certainly Cornwall
> [...]

I think Churston Grammer uses Moodle for VLE (Virtual Learning
Environment). The biggest problem is BECTA funnily enough.

Once upon a time BECTA thought of itself as a collective tendering
station for schools, attempting to negotiate deals with Hardware and
Software Suppliers.

Later it expanded it role to offering advice on best ICT practice and
configuration. Only now is it realising that Collective tendering is
still to expensive for schools (eg VISTA rollout etc).

BECTA has now been implying that "brave" schools might split off and use
FLOSS, or form collectives to share FLOSS skills. BUT what most schools
do is look down BECTA's list of recommended suppliers, since none of
them are FLOSS (since FLOSS is free to download), the schools don't get
to know about it, or if they do, don't know where they can "purchase" it
from a BECTA preferred supplier.

So on the one hand BECTA would like to see more schools try FLOSS, but
on the other because of their historic practices (and those of the
schools they lead) BECTA's prefered supplier list is suppressing the
FLOSS market.

One of the FLOSS models is to sell services ... There is a BIG market
out there for supplying services to schools eg Moodle hosting - secure
and safe forums for kids etc .... But tapping into that market is
difficult with the likes of RM, SCOMIS, Viglen and Microsoft cornering
the marketplace.

Forums for PTA's might be a good start.

Tom.