Re: [LUG] ***SPAM*** Re: PC sharing

On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 10:43:16 +0000
Rob Beard wrote:

> Grant Sewell wrote:
> > On Thu, 24 Jan 2008 10:13:30 +0000
> > Rob Beard wrote:
> >
> >> From my workplace though I can only access the basic things like
> >> webmail or send/receive files via FTP.  I can't connect into my
> >> home network using VPN, VNC, SSH or anything like that as it's
> >> blocked by the company firewall.  Unfortanately being a small fish
> >> in a big company there isn't any way I'll be able to do this
> >> either (unless I get some sort of mobile wireless internet access).
> >
> > I had the same issue at College... they allow only port 80 and 443
> > *outbound*.  My resolution was to have my home router forward
> > incoming traffic on port 443 to my server's on port 22.  Then I
> > tell my SSH client to use port 443 for outbound traffic et viola it
> > works. Of course, since WinSCP also uses SSH, this works nicely
> > too. :)
> >
> > (This does presume that you're not running an https server on :443)
> >
> > Grant.
> >

> Yup, I have that problem, my e-mail runs on port 443.  Still I only
> tend to need e-mail from work so I can keep up to date on the LUG
> mailing list :-)
>
> Rob

I toyed with the idea of opening up a port for IMAP access to make life
easier, but I got playing around with a few different webmail apps and
found "RoundCube" to be really quite good.  It doesn't (as far as I can
tell) do filtering or processing, so I'm still trying to teach myself
backend filtering (and relying on [Sylpheed-]Claws-Mail when I realise
it hasn't worked), so keeping 443 available.

I am also now toying with the idea of getting a second IP (Eclipse will
let me have 2 static IPs for free), giving it a separate dyndns address
and giving myself a bit more flexibility. :)

Grant.