[LUG] ***SPAM*** Re: PC sharing

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 02:06:18 +0000, "Michael Mortimore"
<nospamformike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Jan 14, 2008 4:28 PM, Julian Hall <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> george wrote:
>> > 1. Should I still be trying to use Samba, or LISA, zero config
service
>> > discovery (whatever that is) or what?  If I know for sure what works
> well
>> > I'll put in the effort to find how to do it.
>> >
>> I would have thought NFS would be the way to go.
> If you're used to samba, I'd suggest you stick with samba. I found that
NFS was really slow to connect. I gather it might have been something to
do with the lack of a name server or equivalent but I never managed to
sort it out. I also found that if i shut down the nfs server without
unmounting on the client then client would fail to unmount it and refuse
to shut down. The fix being to switch on the server again. I think this
behaviour can be changed but I didn't try it. I found samba much easier
to configure.

Slow NFS mounting on a local network, ime, is normally because the server
is unable to resolve the clients hostname from IP... two ways to fix
that..
1, local DNS.. 2, /etc/hosts

As for the unmounting thing.. what kind of idiot shuts down a fileserver
before the clients have unmounted ??