Re: [LUG] PC sharing

On Jan 14, 2008 4:28 PM, Julian Hall <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> george wrote:
> > 1. Should I still be trying to use Samba, or LISA, zero config service
> > discovery (whatever that is) or what?  If I know for sure what works well
> > I'll put in the effort to find how to do it.
> >
> I would have thought NFS would be the way to go.
If you're used to samba, I'd suggest you stick with samba. I found
that NFS was really slow to connect. I gather it might have been
something to do with the lack of a name server or equivalent but I
never managed to sort it out. I also found that if i shut down the nfs
server without unmounting on the client then client would fail to
unmount it and refuse to shut down. The fix being to switch on the
server again. I think this behaviour can be changed but I didn't try
it. I found samba much easier to configure.