Re: [LUG] Learning Perl as a non-programmer

Henry Bremridge wrote:
> There are a couple of programs that I am starting to use that are written in perl
> (Finance::quote and beancounter) and I would dearly love to play around with them
> a bit.

I can't really recommend any books to start, but I would applaud your
choice of language and contrary to some views, Perl is as good a
language as any to learn with. Better than some, in fact.

Learning another language first will just confuse you and waste time.

Start with the one you want, but a glance at a good "concepts of
programming" type guide would hold you in good stead. Also reading small
perl scripts and learning what they do is one way of learning for the
impatient, but a good structured lesson with examples is probably better
for starters.

My personal viewpoint is there are far too many computer languages. I
would argue the world need perhaps four in total, not the dozens and
dozens that are around now.

--
Simon Avery