Re: [LUG] Linux in Schools/Colleges/Unis - was: Why are there so few women in our LUG - does this indicate there are few female Linux users ?

On Thursday 17 January 2008 16:51, Rob Beard wrote:
> Grant Sewell wrote:
> > Oh, we have some "old" machines for them to work on.  Most of them have
> > some severe problems - I've even had one which had a knackered VGA BIOS
> > on the onboard display adaptor, only 2 PCI slots, both of which were
> > needed.  Hmm.  Oh, and the College seem to have an agreement with Dell
> > now, so we don't have "old machines" anymore. :(
> >
> > In the end I got them to install in a virtual machine on the laptops
> > (since they're the more powerful machines we have around, at the
> > moment), and then we were faced with how to get VirtualBox's tunnelled
> > network interface to work when bridged to a wifi card. :s
> >
> > We're getting there... slowly.
> >
> > Grant.
>
> Would the college allow you to take donations of old machines from LUG
> members?
>
> Just thinking, if we between us in the LUG could get some old P3 or
> similar machines maybe a few of them could be re-used?

One thing Becta was concerned about (see earlier post) was the licensing
model(s) offered with M$ stuff. You actually have to pay M$ licenses for
other (non M$) machines on the network. So giving them a box configured with
Linux get M$ money!!!
Great 'work' if you can get it!
Tom te tom te tom