Re: [LUG] Why are there so few women in our LUG - does this indicate there are few female Linux users ?

Quoting Viv <viv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> We don't seem to have very many female members - off hand, I can't think
> of more than Clare, Gemma and myself (I apologise if I have missed
> anyone). However, certainly we are in a significant minority.
>
> I don't know if this is just our LUG or if this reflects the proportion
> of female Linux users overall.

Firstly, I think that most people who aren't involved with IT either
for work or as a hobby (e.g. helping develop the linux kernel in their
spare time) are "scared" of computers, even if they use one every day.
Windows comes preinstalled on most computers, so the vast majority of
people won't change to Linux (*very* scary, especially since linux is
generally seen as a "geek's OS").

Secondly, even amongst people involved with IT, linux is a minority OS
--- though I like linux and use it when I can, most of my clients want
software developed for Windows, so I have to use Windows for much of
my work day. Not only do many places demand Windows, but linux is
still seen as a geek's OS even amongst IT people.

Thirdly (and maybe most importantly for the men/women ratio), there
are many more men involved in IT than women. Though I know some quite
accomplished programmers who are women, women programmers are a rarity.

Put all these things together, and the number of women using linux is
going to be very small.

Anthony
--
Anthony Williams            | Just Software Solutions Ltd
Custom Software Development | http://www.justsoftwaresolutions.co.uk