Re: [LUG] Why are there so few women in our LUG - does this indicate there are few female Linux users ?

On Jan 16, 2008, Viv was like:

> I know that this may bring forth some contraversial comments but, am
> genuinely interested in what people think about this.

Here goes then. I recollect in the early days, I am thinking 1951 or so,
most programmers were women; people remarked how odd this seemed and
it was said "noone told them they couldn't do it". Grace Hopper was a
feminist icon.
I left Reading University in 1994 so I don't know what they do now but
at that time the network was Unix but the students all used Windows. They
demanded it because that is what they would have in the workplace.
Well not all; the Letters faculty had Macs.

My wife (just 77) has always used linux because that is what I was
using and she knows no other. She has her own PC. She is not
interested in the workings though and I don't suppose I could persuade
her to come to a meeting.  I'll ask :-)

My g-daughter uses Windows at work and has a laptop at home. I installed
OpenOffice, Firefox and Thunderbird for her over Windows but with the
new one she insisted on MS Office so I have had to give way.

There are no women in the Glastonbury LUG. Has anyone done a national
count?

Tony Sumner