Re: [LUG] Why are there so few women in our LUG - does this indicate there are few female Linux users ?

Viv wrote:
> genuinely interested in what people think about this.
>
> We don't seem to have very many female members - off hand, I can't think
> of more than Clare, Gemma and myself (I apologise if I have missed
> anyone). However, certainly we are in a significant minority.
Hi Viv,

I'm not sure of the exact reasons, but I suspect they are the same as
the reasons that there are no women at all on my BSc Software
Development course.  In this case I think the education system is partly
to blame for not getting them interested at an early enough age.  In
fact I can only think of three girls across the four courses that are
taught together.  One of those builds and repairs PCs for friends.

It's probably a combination of things IMHO:

1.  Girls are not encouraged into IT in school as much as guys are.
Mistake IMHO.. I think a woman is less likely to give a recalcitrant bit
of kit a damn good shoeing and have the patience to fix it.
2.  Girls *generally*, and yes there are many exceptions I agree, are
not as technically minded as men.
3.  Offices have MS Windows and when buying a PC for home women *and*
men just want what they are familiar with.

Against #2 is the fact that in the tech support callcentre I worked in,
roughly a quarter were female, so I think the true figure for Linux
probably lies somewhere between the 5ish% in the LUG and the 25% I
worked with.

Heh... I do recall one amusing incident.  Our Senior Mac Tech was called
Tonia.  A guy rang up for help with a Mac.. came through to her.
Wouldn't talk to her as she was a woman!  She transferred him to me and
mentioned it, I said 'Oh aye.. hang on..'  He explained the problem to
me and the conversation went like this:

Me: I'm sorry I've only been here a couple of weeks, and I don't support
Macs.. let me put you through to our Senior Mac Technician.....
Him: OK thank you.
Me: ....Tonia *click to HOLD*
Me:  Here ya go Tonia he's been told you're our Senior Mac Tech
Me: *click to TRANSFER*

I don't suppose he did that twice :)  I didn't and still don't put up
with that sexist BS at all :)

Kind regards,

Julian