Re: [LUG] NHS Healthspace - Firefox users need not apply

Neil Williams wrote:
> Tom Potts wrote:

>>> Firefox connected on my Mac, is it at the booking stage it fails? If
>>> so I agree with you entirely. However, maybe the recent losses of
>>> data will make the government rethink spending our money on yet
>>> another lousy Windows oriented database, i.e. the identity one. Who
>>> now is going to trust any government with more data than you
>>> absolutely have to.
>>>
>> I'm afraid the problem is due to the lie that M$ sold themselves on. Windows
>> does not make problems easier. It helps with a few things but doesn't help
>> you think.
>>

> "A thinking user is a threat - SUE!" - Microsoft (maybe).
>
> There is a lot more to this - the entire philosophy of dumbing down
> computers (actually just the UI) to the point where the user doesn't
> need to use their brain ends up with computers that are less useful than
> a calculator. It's why I like stories of people installing a proper OS
> on "customised" computers like games consoles. It's such a waste of a
> computer to only give the user only four buttons to control it.
>
> Computers should encourage (require?) users to think. Yes, make the
> fundamental parts of the UI intuitive but intuitive does not mean
> brainless.
>
> "Computer says no" is an indictment of the software as much as the user.
> The software should make it possible to find out *why* and what needs to
> be changed.
>
> Yet the opposite extreme is still in evidence too - I've lost count of
> the bizarre error messages I still see in MS products, along the lines
> of Error #2F23D2C12A00B in (exec_lkkf_werw:werew) OK? (or worse, the
> same nonsense error message and OK|Cancel - cancel what?)
>

>> As a result the last twenty years has produced a glut of IT
>> consultants who 'no nothing' but can format it well and maybe do a mail
>> merge.
>>

> MCSE - Might create s***e excuses
>

>> I'd be happy with the Government using W$ databases - I just wish they would
>> contract a company who had more engineers than lawyers so they might actually
>> attempt to create useful systems rather than make sure their legal arse is so
>> well covered that they don't need to write a line of code to get paid!
>> Tom te tom te tom
>>

> And how is such a company going to survive when this is exactly how MS
> is structured?

You may want to send this to the opera (browser) team they have just
complained about MS IE being too tied in to systems and not standards
compliant,  this may work out as good evidence in their favour.  Or at
least support their cause.

However you could just point out the issue to the NHS,  I did this in
vancouver,  when looking for a job at futureshop.  their site failed to
work properly with firefox, so I wrote in and pointed it out, they wrote
back and said my points were valid and they would fix it,

if you make the right arguments in the right way, backed up with clear
evidence, people do acutally listen, provided you get through to the
right people.

Paul

--

Support open file formats use ISO 26300 Open Document format
as used by openoffice.org,  http:///www.openoffice.org

visit us on IRC - irc.flashtek-uk.com / 6667 #dclug