Re: [LUG] OT: parking [was: Lax Bureaucracy [Was Re: TV Licensing]]

Julian Hall wrote:
> James Fidell wrote:
>
>> stinga wrote:
>>

>>> Used to work in London and people used to park in front of our
>>> workshop.
>>> Open roller shutter door, car in the way, use fork lift to remove car
>>> to another location, they got the idea...
>>>

>> Also likely to be illegal, mind, since it's "taking without the owner's
>> consent".
>>
>> James
>>

> Interesting.. since he didn't actually enter the vehicle.  I suppose
> technically that moving it by any method would come under that
> classification.  Still I'd like to see it go to court :)
>
> Julian

I am not an expert but I see the only way pull this off is to have a
notice to the effect of

THIS IS A PRIVATE FORECOURT,  ACCESS REQUIRED TO DOORS AT ALL TIMES
NO PARKING WITH OUT CONSENT.

OFFENDING VEHICLES WILL BE REMOVED

clearly if that vehicle is causing an obstruction that is deemed a
danger to life, (blocking a fire escape for example) then I am sure the
police can be called to remove (and with any luck, crush) the offending
vehicle,  again a warning this effect would possibly deter 99.9 percent
of potential offenders.  notice I have added "without consent",  this
allows an employee to say park there while he / she checks on
something,  say the mail on a saturday if the shop is closed.

In a similar way if you have cctv you have to display a warning,
oftherwise I could walk in to your shop,  steal something,  you could
then use the video to form your prosecution but my defence could be if I
had known about the cctv I would not have stolen something or attempted to.

I think this has happened on occasion,  with tresspass,   it is however
getting rediculous,  with people breaking in to a school,  getting
injured in some way,  then suing for damages,  due to lack of warning
signs,   e.g if I had known it was a loose tile roof I would not have
tried to break,  despite the fact that the offense of tress pass,
criminal damage etc etc are all criminal offenses.

As i said I am not an expert,  so am guessing but this seems to be the
solution.

paul

--

Support open file formats use ISO 26300 Open Document format
as used by openoffice.org,  http:///www.openoffice.org

Events
11th November. Penzance Computers meet
Lostwithel meeting part 2, - watch this space.
details on lug site, www.dcglug.org.uk under meetings.
visit us on IRC - irc.flashtek-uk.com / 6667 #dclug