Re: [LUG] IDEs was OT: Computer Science at Exeter Uni

On Sunday 11 November 2007 17:06, Dave Berkeley wrote:
> I agree that M$ Visual Studio is good. It is their best product (I can't
> think of anything else of theirs that I rate). However, these days I tend
> to either be using Python, with vim and print / log to debug, or doing
> embedded C/C++ work on eg. ARM targets. You can get remote debug IDE tools
> (I used Visual Studio to remotely debug a couple of years ago with OnTime's
> RTOS32, which was helpful), but it ends to be back to syslog and print /
> printk.
logging an Nunit tests are great but theres nothing quite like actually being
able to examine an object in detail - its always the bits you thought were
completely debugged that go wrong!
> So I hardly use IDEs these days. They come into their own on big
> C++ applications. Tracing through someone else's code is a good way of
> finding out how it all works, especially when you don't have time to read
> 100,000 lines of code. Discovery.
Insanity lies that way - but it can be fun! One of the beauties of OS is that
before you release the code you think 'everyone in the world can see that bit
where where I;d had a beer to many!' and go tidy it up!
Tom te tom te tom