Re: [LUG] OT: Computer Science at Exeter Uni

Tom Potts wrote:
> On Sunday 11 November 2007 00:22, Simon Williams wrote:
>> The CS department here only has Linux machines (admittedly with CentOS,
>> but you can't have everything), which is very very useful. Unlike most
>> Universities they start with C and work up, and everything can be done
>> with command line programs, rather than force the use of visual studio
>> or some other IDE, which is definitely better. Those IDEs that are
>> available are decent (i.e. open source, cross platform) ones.

> I'd be interested to hear which ones are in use!
> I've never managed to get any real consistency with Linux IDE's:
>       I last coded in C# using Visual Studio and, much as I hate M$, it still
> stands out as the best IDE for any serious work - they do like their coders
> to be productive even if they don't mind them writing complete tosh!

>       Eclipse looks like it should be useful but all I ever get are dependency
> problems - it is apparently possible to set it up to debug PHP on Apache but
> I've never managed to come close.
>       FreeRides OK but primitive.
>       KDevelop just seems to not work when you need it....

I haven't actually tried using any so far, I've just been sticking to
command line tools. Mainly Eclipse I think. However, even if all of them
suck and Visual Studio is the only good one it doesn't run on my system
so I'm not using it (wine doesn't count, though I'm sure they've got it
running very nicely).