Re: [LUG] IDEs was OT: Computer Science at Exeter Uni

Dave Berkeley wrote:
> I'd be interested to know what people study at University these days. I've
> always preferred working with Physics or Electronics people, as Comp Sci
> seems to put funny ideas into people's heads in this country. I've worked
> with a few great Comp Scis from the US, but the best people I've worked with
> here have almost all been Physicists, and none of them CompScis.
>
> My advice would be - do Physics. Perhaps it leads to a bottom up understanding
> of the system. CS seems to try and impose a top down view.

For the most part I think you are right. It seems that computer science
is very much one of those degrees that all universities do, but very few
do properly or well. Like I said, Bristol teaches it bottom up, which is
much more sensible. My friend just started at Southampton (doing CSE),
and tells me that they are using an IDE and doing Java- the reason being
that "most people have done only very little programming in visual
basic", but IMHO the first thing they should be doing is making everyone
forget visual basic so they can learn how to do it properly. You can't
do visual stuff until you understand data structures, etc. (And you just
can't do anything in basic full stop).