Re: [LUG] Linux in business

GeekLord wrote:
> Robin Cornelius wrote:

>>> What did you come up with?

>>> Fair enough. I mean small. It's a question of who might be most
>>> interested and the numbers of businesses - how best to make inroads.
>>>

>> I mentioned this cause if you speak to organizations like Business
>> Link these numbers will have been firmly drummed into their heads and
>> associated with those definitions.
>>
>> Also most seminar type things they run are aimed at SME's so i would
>> recommend SME's as a general target.

>>> How have they been received?
>>>
>> A few i have been to have shown useful information. With the
>> presenters avaiable for general questions and networking/discussions
>> afterwards. They can be good things to go to.
>>
>> The other thing is Business link have a large reach to most SME
>> businesses and there role is provide information to the SME community,
>> they often run seminars that are free to attend so I  think trying to
>> get in communications with some of the local area PBAs and saying you
>> want to run a seminar/series of seminars would be a *very* good move.

>>> Fair enough. I don't know what Joe needs. I just had this one need and
>>> thought a private show would help him along - he does actually want to
>>> get his organisation to migrate and I thought the server might be a good
>>> place to start. (Some staff do use OOo and the Gimp). He recognises a
>>> need to learn and it would all have to be worked so things did not crash
>>> all about him first time. Then there's resistance to change and file
>>> compatibility in a dual system.
>>>
>> Yea as long as you highlight possible benefits and empower them to
>> make a rational and informed decision you have done your job :-)
>> getting a server to linux is probably a good start and using OOo and
>> Gimp etc are also a great transition too. This is the route i have
>> followed, but i just don't see a route at present to go to linux
>> desktops in my place, i would love to. Prehpase we could switch some
>> desktops particulay of the admin workers who only need email/office
>> etc but on other systems we have various ties that make it very
>> difficult. One of our ties is a classic lock in situation where out
>> data files can ONLY be read by one program that is protected with a
>> dongle that is no longer available and not supported, if the dongle
>> goes wrong we are screwed.
>>

>> Robin
>>

> Keith Menadue wrote:
>
> In this case I could be  Joe .
> The Linux  OS is a minor issue as Joe I don't worry about using Linux ...
> I'm like a lot of SME's, the easy bit is Open Office 2.0 or 2.3, Firefox
> and Modzilla Thunderbird and Servers.
> I'm  worried about an equivalent Linux offering for Sage Line 50
> accounts software.
> The closest I could find was 'My books Professional' I'm not sure its
> going to be OK for us. This is the Force Major thats holding me back not
> the OS.

The accountancy problem is that which stifles Linux in SME
business,especially if UK VAT registered.

I use QuickBooks Pro (old edition 2004)on MS Windows and this is the
real barrier to going to only Linux, as there is over 6 years of data
to transfer, and no UK Version with VAT capability for Linux...

http://www.linux.com/articles/41026   This was 2004 however in 2007
QuickBooks USA and Canada is now available for Linux due 'market
pressure'.

Check
http://www.intuit.com/about_intuit/press_room/press_release/2007/06-13.jhtml

So USA Open Source Linux community can get a proprietary accounts that
fits Gnu/Linux at a price "The software starts as low as $3,000, ..."

Also USA centric is > http://www.sql-ledger.org/

(Microsoft! do a free (as yet) USA set of books, it is good - they
will be attaching  the accountancy folk next)

UK I see nothing as yet.

Regards
Eion MacDonald