Re: [LUG] Linux in business

james kilty wrote:
> Dear all
>
> After correspondence with a member of West Cornwall Business Network, I
> wonder if an event for small businesses would be a good idea. I have no
> idea of the range of standard software likely to be needed but wonder if
> it might be another way into the mass of MS users.
>
> Certainly from my small experience of one event, to be able to
> demonstrate (and train in the use of) a Linux server in a medium sized
> organisation would be good.
>
> Is it feasible to consider a showcase centre? I suppose it would be a
> bit much to hope for a College to do this but are there any small or
> large businesses (or other) able to offer visits? We culd perhaps trial
> this idea through a visit by members?

Small business.

It is possible to run a small  business entirely on open source
software on Gnu/Linux with the important exception of VAT accounts, as
most open source accounting systems are not set up for EU/UK VAT (one
jEdit    plug in is a workable system is but is not user friendly).

I set up my business some two years ago and only need Windows for :
-interaction with Inland Revenue 's CD Rom for payroll
and
-my accounts ( also the much larger accounts for another charity
organisation I record). While accounts (paid for software are
available in Gnu/Linux; the  HMRC, Inland Revenue & Customs & VAT ,
some BBC and other government departments (e.g. export control for
'controlled  substances  [such as explosives  thermic welding kits)
only co-operate with MS Windows systems.

I assume same problem with  Gnu/Linux server would apply

Regards
Eion MacDonald