Re: [LUG] Linux in business

On Mon, 2007-11-05 at 10:23 +0000, Robin Cornelius wrote:

> I started off enquirys in this kind of area 12 months ago
What did you come up with?
> I wouldn't focus on just "medium" that has a specific meaning in
> general you should look at SMEs (small to medium size enterprises).
> Small is 0-49, Medium is 50-249. Typical Business link type
> definitions.
Fair enough. I mean small. It's a question of who might be most
interested and the numbers of businesses - how best to make inroads.

> What do you want to actually show? Would it not be better to have
> presentations of case studies from people who have deployed such
> systems. This is the kind of thing i have seen at Business Link
> Seminars in the past.
How have they been received?
>  No reason why live servers etc could not be
> demonstrated but to Joe Business Owner, a pile of servers is not
> interesting at all. They want to know what it does(and in some cases
> they don't care about this either) and how it benefits them.
Fair enough. I don't know what Joe needs. I just had this one need and
thought a private show would help him along - he does actually want to
get his organisation to migrate and I thought the server might be a good
place to start. (Some staff do use OOo and the Gimp). He recognises a
need to learn and it would all have to be worked so things did not crash
all about him first time. Then there's resistance to change and file
compatibility in a dual system.

In an ideal world there would be a place (College IT (training)
departments should do this as a matter of course - surely) to see a
Linux server with thin clients operating with the whole range of typical
Office tasks using all GNU software - businesses reminded regularly and
appointments made to learn how to. Or something like that. I can dream.
--
james kilty
http://www.kilty.demon.co.uk