Re: [LUG] Linux in business

On Nov 5, 2007 9:54 AM, james kilty <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Dear all
>
> After correspondence with a member of West Cornwall Business Network, I
> wonder if an event for small businesses would be a good idea. I have no
> idea of the range of standard software likely to be needed but wonder if
> it might be another way into the mass of MS users.

I started off enquirys in this kind of area 12 months ago but got
bogged down in my day to day rubbish to take it any further.

> Certainly from my small experience of one event, to be able to
> demonstrate (and train in the use of) a Linux server in a medium sized
> organisation would be good.

I wouldn't focus on just "medium" that has a specific meaning in
general you should look at SMEs (small to medium size enterprises).
Small is 0-49, Medium is 50-249. Typical Business link type
definitions.

> Is it feasible to consider a showcase centre? I suppose it would be a
> bit much to hope for a College to do this but are there any small or
> large businesses (or other) able to offer visits? We culd perhaps trial
> this idea through a visit by members?

What do you want to actually show? Would it not be better to have
presentations of case studies from people who have deployed such
systems. This is the kind of thing i have seen at Business Link
Seminars in the past. No reason why live servers etc could not be
demonstrated but to Joe Business Owner, a pile of servers is not
interesting at all. They want to know what it does(and in some cases
they don't care about this either) and how it benefits them.

Robin