Re: [LUG] Linux in business

Eion MacDonald wrote:
james kilty wrote:

Dear all

After correspondence with a member of West Cornwall Business Network, I
wonder if an event for small businesses would be a good idea. I have no
idea of the range of standard software likely to be needed but wonder if
it might be another way into the mass of MS users.

Certainly from my small experience of one event, to be able to
demonstrate (and train in the use of) a Linux server in a medium sized
organisation would be good.

Is it feasible to consider a showcase centre? I suppose it would be a
bit much to hope for a College to do this but are there any small or
large businesses (or other) able to offer visits? We culd perhaps trial
this idea through a visit by members?

Small business.

It is possible to run a small  business entirely on open source
software on Gnu/Linux with the important exception of VAT accounts, as
most open source accounting systems are not set up for EU/UK VAT (one
jEdit    plug in is a workable system is but is not user friendly).

I set up my business some two years ago and only need Windows for :
-interaction with Inland Revenue 's CD Rom for payroll
and
-my accounts ( also the much larger accounts for another charity
organisation I record). While accounts (paid for software are
available in Gnu/Linux; the  HMRC, Inland Revenue & Customs & VAT ,
some BBC and other government departments (e.g. export control for
'controlled  substances  [such as explosives  thermic welding kits)
only co-operate with MS Windows systems.

I assume same problem with  Gnu/Linux server would apply

Regards
Eion MacDonald

I run my business solely on Linux  and have done for the past 7 years!
My accounts and Complicated VAT returns are done using a web interface MySql server and OOCalc. If I had more php knowledge I could possible loose the OOCalc
I need to account for Std Vat Zero Vat Low Vat and Exempt Vat.
I am trying to find time to Set this up on the web as a Service for small businesses but as usual time is not a commodity I have lots of presently.
I am happy to invite any one interested to Minions Shop  PL14 5LE to see the system and discuss any small (or large) business requirements as I feel given a standard use interface such as a Browser, any kind of business management can be achieved.  I would like to do a web interface for "Better Food Better Business" by Food. Standards Agency, as thy require a daily dairy of food prep cleaning suppliers staff training etc all in a loose leaf binder. A example of the interface (for the Shop)
is on www.minionsbandb.co.uk/shop/minionsshop.html
none of the links will work as I havn't set up the database side yet (one is there ready to be loaded and tested) but you can see the kind of things I need to run the Business.

Regards

Kevin