Re: [LUG] Yahoo Mail

Viv wrote:

> authentication - in fact, I think that I just unchecked the "my server
> requires authentication" box and it worked.

Is that the "secure authentication" checkbox?

Yahoo! use an "insecure" authentication method, but only uses it over
SSL (so the password is sent as plain text but over an encrypted
channel, if that makes sense, rather than say using other schemes that
send hashed, or encrypted versions of the password).

Curiously when I was designing a mail system for folks a while back, I
also decided protocols over SSL with plain text passwords had a lot
going for them. Yahoo! and Google Mail agree with me it seems.

Anyway I think the main stumbling block for me was assuming "enable POP"
enabled POP, when it also enabled SMTP Auth. So perhaps better labelled
"use external mail application" or something.

In summary you can use a free Yahoo! account to send using regular SMTP
Auth, if you enable the POP3 in the settings, and copy the settings from
there into a regular email client. You only get to send email with your
Yahoo!  mail address.

In contrast Google seem more relaxed about what you try to send, and it
is marginally easier to set up.

Now if only I had a use for them ;)