Re: [LUG] Yahoo Mail

On Thu, 2007-10-18 at 20:22 +0100, Simon Waters wrote:
> Simon wrote:
> >
> > According to Yahoo you have to upgrade to a subscription account to send
> > e-mails to their server, yet Thunderbird and Outlook can do it with a freebie
> > account.  Postfix does not work, (which may be a configuration problem on my
> > side of things), I am going to try a Google account and see what happens.
>
> Standard are standards. I couldn't get a free account to work with
> Yahoo! and Icedove and the documented settings for SMTP Auth.
>
> Historically folks claiming to do this were using YPOPs, which is an
> interface that sits in the middle and converts stuff.
>
> I'd be curious to see Viv's settings, if she got it to work, as I assume
> it must be how the username is represented or some such.
>
> I wondered perhaps it is different for BT Openworld users, as I think
> their mail servers are on the same network as the Yahoo servers, but
> they are on different addresses, so I assume different servers/configs.
>
>  Simon

I paid the subscription on my own yahoo account. However, last year when
it ran out, Yahoo did not remind me / I did not renew. Evolution carried
on sending / recieving email and I only noticed (eventually) because I
had to log in more often and was getting more advertising appearing.
Yahoo had simply reverted me automatically to a free account but, it did
not affect pop.

Recently though, I set up a friend with a free yahoo account. I thought
that he would have to pay like I did, when he wanted Outlook to download
his email.

I remember that I did have a few problems getting it working properly.
The published settings in the Yahoo Online Help that I used with my own
email account did not work fully - it enabled emails to be recieved but,
would not send them. I think I played about with the settings concerning
authentication - in fact, I think that I just unchecked the "my server
requires authentication" box and it worked.

Sorry that I cannot be more specific - it was a few weeks ago and I
cannot quite remember what I did.

Viv