Re: [LUG] re ISP's - FYI

Simon Avery wrote:
> I quite agree and think it's scandalous that the advertisers are clearly
> lying by claiming it is.
As per my response, the AUP itself is intended to protect users from
abuse such as spamming etc.  It is a misuse of the AUP itself to put a
usage cap in there as *that* is clearly a Condition (as in Terms and
Conditions) of the Contract, not an 'abusive' use of the service.

Using the AUP this way is like a 'Reward' scheme for employees for good
service which carries specific targets they must meet to qualify *as
well as* providing good service.  It's not a reward scheme when it
conceals a stick.  It's abuse by the management of the original purpose
of the function.

BTW it's obvious why it is done this way.  Most (if not all) ISP
contracts state that the ISP must advise all customers of changes to the
Terms and Conditions.  By slipping  usage cap into the AUP (which
somehow they see as a separate entity) they don't see that they have to
advise them.  Yes it *is* a load of *deleted because this gets archived
and Alex will get cross* ;)

Perhaps an email to the ISP(s) concerned CCed to the ASA on the matter?

Kind regards,

Julian