Re: [LUG] re ISP's - FYI

Benjamin A'Lee wrote:

>>> Logically 'unlimited' means 'this service has no limits' so any placed
>>> on it mean that the provider is guilty of false advertising.
>> Small print in pretty much every advert mentions "Acceptable use policy
>> applies" which means capped. Bandwidth in this country is very expensive.
>
> But an acceptable use policy is a limit. If there's an acceptable use policy,
> it's not unlimited so they shouldn't be claiming it is.

I quite agree and think it's scandalous that the advertisers are clearly
lying by claiming it is. Obviously people dislike caps so are asking "Is
this service unlimited?" and the marketing departments are attempting to
change the accepted value of that word.

The ASA is your friend, albiet one that tends to merely tut politely
when advertisers cross the line instead of hitting them so hard they
actually change how they advertise in future.

Still, reporting these adverts can't do any harm and may do *some* good.

--
Simon Avery