Re: [LUG] working with A level students in a Microsoft Academy

james kilty wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-10-11 at 20:40 +0100, Rob Beard wrote:
>
>> I'd say as an alternative to Dreamweaver maybe NVU or Kompozer
> Is it available on Windows as well? I think NVU was.

Yep, Kompozer is available for Windows, Linux and MacOS X.

>>  Actually, wouldn't the
>> school be better teaching HTML/PHP/CSS or whatever is used rather than
>> how to use an application?
> I started commenting about using menus rather than a deeper approach to
> IT so I think this might go down well. I did give him the link Jonathan
> posted and will point out the dramatic drop in the % FLOSS written by
> 10-15 and 16-18 year olds over the years.

>> Possibly an idea for the students would be to distribute copies of The
>> Open Disc (www.theopendisc.com) which is a new project as far as I know
>> to replace The OpenCD
> I will certainly have a copy of openCD afer the Penzance event.

You might want to look at The OpenDisc too as it's a new project along
the lines of The OpenCD but without the constraints that the original
project leader had (he talks about it in his blog).  I'm going to try
and do another DCGLUG custom version of The OpenDisc as it's pretty much
the same workings as The OpenCD but it won't be for a couple of days.

>>  (it says more about it on TheOpenDisc.com web
>> site).  This would certainly be a start, and a good alternative for
>> parents rather than paying £100 a pop for a student/teacher copy of MS
>> Office.

> It is always my intention to promote Free Software as a first step and
> Linux as the second obvious one. However, starting with A-Level might
> bring an opening to studying what it's about and sarting to learn some
> programming.

Well I think students in general could all see the benefits of free
software, even if it's just cost related, and for the A level students,
being able to read the source code and seeing how things are put
together would probably be of some use.

>> I've just given SWF exporting a try, I downloaded a PowerPoint
>> presentation and exported it as PDF.
> Using OOo?? PDF? PP slides don't show right in OOo - I just loaded some
> in 2.2 and images on slides were misplaced and cut off short. But it
> does make darned good slides.

I opened a Powerpoint slide I downloaded from t'internet, it appeared to
work okay in OOo when displayed in a slide show (i.e. the effects seemed
to work) but as you say, some PP slides don't work.  I ment exported it
as SWF.

>>   It looks (from initial playing
>> around) that it supports exporting of slides but not fancy effects
>> although I could be wrong.  I'm not sure if there are any other FLOSS
>> applications that export/create Flash files.

> It may not be Flash that's needed if they want e-books to have video or
> other moving images - that's what they can do, so they do it that way.
> Do we have FLOSS options for this? I know we have listed things like
> Blender, (but I have not explored it beyond looking at the opening page
> and menu items) and cinepaint.

Not sure on this, Flash video seems to be pretty popular at the moment.
    Technically a web page could have an MPEG video or something
embdedded in it.  I'm sure someone more knowledgeable on these things
could answer that question.

> On the Community Centre project front, once we have a first, we have a
> model that can be rolled out elsewhere. Within local communities there
> should be plenty of the competencies needed to support this.

Yup, well I'm working with Rick Timmis on this as he's already done some
of the work on finding out about Broadband connections from BT.  I'm not
entirely sure if BT provide connections for free to community centres
for free or if an application/grant is required?  (I believe it might be
the latter).

I did mention a couple of weeks ago about the possibility of some sort
of partly funded broadband by reselling something like Enta's
connections with profits from residential customers going to pay for
connections for local community centres etc although I'm not sure what
the requirements are to become an Enta reseller (I'll try and find out
though).

Rob