Re: [LUG] working with A level students in a Microsoft Academy

On Thu, 2007-10-11 at 20:40 +0100, Rob Beard wrote:

> I'd say as an alternative to Dreamweaver maybe NVU or Kompozer
Is it available on Windows as well? I think NVU was.
snip
>  Actually, wouldn't the
> school be better teaching HTML/PHP/CSS or whatever is used rather than
> how to use an application?
I started commenting about using menus rather than a deeper approach to
IT so I think this might go down well. I did give him the link Jonathan
posted and will point out the dramatic drop in the % FLOSS written by
10-15 and 16-18 year olds over the years.
snip
> Possibly an idea for the students would be to distribute copies of The
> Open Disc (www.theopendisc.com) which is a new project as far as I know
> to replace The OpenCD
I will certainly have a copy of openCD afer the Penzance event.
>  (it says more about it on TheOpenDisc.com web
> site).  This would certainly be a start, and a good alternative for
> parents rather than paying £100 a pop for a student/teacher copy of MS
> Office.
It is always my intention to promote Free Software as a first step and
Linux as the second obvious one. However, starting with A-Level might
bring an opening to studying what it's about and sarting to learn some
programming.
snip
> I've just given SWF exporting a try, I downloaded a PowerPoint
> presentation and exported it as PDF.
Using OOo?? PDF? PP slides don't show right in OOo - I just loaded some
in 2.2 and images on slides were misplaced and cut off short. But it
does make darned good slides.
>   It looks (from initial playing
> around) that it supports exporting of slides but not fancy effects
> although I could be wrong.  I'm not sure if there are any other FLOSS
> applications that export/create Flash files.
It may not be Flash that's needed if they want e-books to have video or
other moving images - that's what they can do, so they do it that way.
Do we have FLOSS options for this? I know we have listed things like
Blender, (but I have not explored it beyond looking at the opening page
and menu items) and cinepaint.

On the Community Centre project front, once we have a first, we have a
model that can be rolled out elsewhere. Within local communities there
should be plenty of the competencies needed to support this.
--
james kilty
http://www.kilty.demon.co.uk