Re: [LUG] Exeter Hospital Radio Fun Day

On Mon, Aug 13, 2007 at 07:27:14PM +0100, Rob Beard wrote:

> > ps and thanks to rob for getting the sweex wireless apparently working on his
> > machine (we could not get any wireless connection going while there).
> >

> No problem Henry.  I should have brought along my router we could have
> tested it properly then.

Works well at home: or at least as long as I did not try and manually set it up! On
roaming it works really well (Sweex wireless card from Trago at £12 odd)

> Talking about web cams, the software I was thinking of for Linux is
> called Motion.  It runs in the background as a daemon and tracks motion
> on your web cam (or TV/Video capture card) and can either record the
> output as a JPG or MPEG4 AVI video.  It has an embedded web server to
> help being accessible from the internet.

Will try this asap: been busy transferring files from xp to $%"!!^ vista and from xp
to Ubuntu.

> Although it would be great if GAIM (or whatever it's called now) had
> support for webcams with audio connecting to MSN Messenger on Windows XP
> (or Yahoo messenger on XP), this might solve your problems.

Or yahoo under Ubuntu? May try that

> Other than that, you may be interested in an Edimax IP-1000 network IP
> camera.  This can do single frame capture or motion capture (although
> saying that I haven't managed to get it to capture decent motion on
> Linux yet, but it does the job for the Gemini FM webcam).  It also has a
> proprietary ActiveX control for Internet Explorer which enables pretty
> good motion.
>
> Hope this helps.

Many thanks

--