Re: [LUG] running windows programs in Linux

James Fidell wrote:
> Martijn wrote:
>>> what exactly is rtf,  is this text format,  but with the CR / LF
>>> handelled differently,
>> It does do a few more things, like changing the font. See
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rich_Text_Format
>>
>> It's weird that it does show properly in OOo as it was developed
>> especially for cross-platform information exchange. Many security
>> companies actually recommend saving Word documents -and, perhaps, OOo
>> documents too- as RTF as it doesn't use macros, which is exactly what
>> viruses make use of.
>
> It's quite possible, I guess, that it doesn't work in OOo because it
> doesn't conform to the standards or there's some other weirdness going
> on when it is created.  unRTF completely fails to deal with it
> adequately too (though in a differeny way), but Word renders it without
> a problem.
>
> James

Could you try Abiword?  That is supposed to support RTF.

I found another solution to VMWare.  Innotek Virtual Box at
www.virtualbox.com has a GPL implementation.  You have to compile it
from source (instructions are provided for Debian based distros and also
Gentoo) and that also have non-free repositories.  I've had a bit of a
play with it on Windows and it seems to work in the same sort of way as
VMWare but with more configurable options than VMWare Player.

Rob