Re: [LUG] running windows programs in Linux

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 09:22:24 +0100
Paul Sutton <zleap@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It seems this issue keeps cropping up

It does (and has done for years), but not for programs that would run
under crossover.

> what are peoples experience with crossover office,  this is available
> from the Linux emporium and <£30 UKP,  afaik,  and allows running of
> photoshop / MS office under Linux.

The common requests appear to be financial programs and route maps, not
spreadsheets and word processors.

These are small operators, niche programs. I once got TaxCalc working
under WINE but it could not submit the data to HMRC nor write out
a file that I could submit separately, making the entire thing
pointless. IIRC I once got Quicken to work under WINE but the very next
Quicken release broke spectacularly.

Big programs get lots of attention from both sides. Small programs on
GNU/Linux or Windows tend not to get any attention in terms of
portability or use in other environments. Try compiling GnuCash for
WinXP via Cygwin.

The solution that is gaining the most positive reaction would appear to
be VM. I know, it is resource hungry and it pushes people back into the
hardware upgrade cycle again but it does give these programs a usable
foundation that would not be available otherwise.

--

Neil Williams