Re: [LUG] running windows programs in Linux

Quoting James Fidell <james@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Neil Williams wrote:
>> On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 09:22:24 +0100
>> Paul Sutton <zleap@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> It seems this issue keeps cropping up
>>
>> It does (and has done for years), but not for programs that would run
>> under crossover.
>>
>>> what are peoples experience with crossover office,  this is available
>>> from the Linux emporium and <£30 UKP,  afaik,  and allows running of
>>> photoshop / MS office under Linux.
>>
>> The common requests appear to be financial programs and route maps, not
>> spreadsheets and word processors.
>
> A related issue...
>
> The newsletter for the local bee-keepers association is sent out as an
> RTF file.  There is no chance of me getting that changed in the near
> future -- I get the impression that some of the people involved really
> aren't that comfortable with computers to start with, let alone
> explaining to them that it would all be a lot easier if they sent it as
> PDF (and I'd be more than happy to convert it for them if they wished).
> Even the membership renewal form was sent out as an Excel spreadsheet :(
>
> OOo thinks it knows how to render RTF files, but in this case makes an
> utter hash of it, so I currently have to fire up VMware and WinXP to
> read the newsletter.
>
> Does anyone know of a usable Linux RTF viewer/converter?
>
> James

I don't know of anything off the top of my head, but could you suggest
they have a look at PDF Creator
(http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/).  It's released under
the GPL and works like a printer.  All they have to do is print the
document to the PDF Creator printer and it will allow them to save the
output as a PDF (or even JPG, PNG, BMP and a variety of other formats).

You may also be able to run the existing WordPad application from
Windows XP under Wine (I haven't tried this myself but there is no
reason why it won't work being such a simple app).

Rob