Re: [LUG] link with computer shop now GNU/Linux beginners session

On Sat, 2007-07-07 at 18:04 +0100, Jonathan Roberts wrote:
in answer to my
> NB the lists of printers supported in Ubuntu and Suse are
> > impressive);
>
> are they not for all distros? The support is mostly from CUPS I think,
> which is standard...good news :D

I appreciate that - what I should have said is that people will be able
to check from a live distro or one of our installs if their printer is
listed - or if anyone asks me, I can check the list. Incidentally, after
our discussion about printers, I went after one recommended in
linuxprinting.org but it was no longer available. So, instead of the
Epson Stylus C8x I got a D88 which worked with CUPS from the box. Ink
was a different matter but an exchange in the shop worked wonders.

>  A hand out like this would be good
> though, I guess it would quickly turn into an "Introduction to Linux",
> which would be great to put on the web as I'm sure thousands of people
> would find a piece like this very useful. I'd be happy to help with
> this.
OK, we can aim for this as I want people to have the security of a clear
and concise resource to get them going: all stages from thinking about
it to solving problems after installing.

> if you're taking suggestions, Fedora and OpenSuse are both
> just as easy to use as Ubuntu; especially as both these examples have
> a lot more gui system configs...There's also all the stuff like
> PCLinuxOS, SimplyMepis etc but I have no experience with these.

I wanted to keep it simple. Whilst showing a few distros might be good,
giving a narrow choice would make the first session easy and more
reliable, hence my preference for Ubuntu 7.04 Live DVD. I personally
prefer to offer what I have experience of, and will try Fedora soon and
the latest OpenSuse. I have found Knoppix Live CD excellent.

> This could all be fitted onto the disc I expect
> with a few simple steps; I have experience with adding extras to live
> cds and could help here too.

Great. A complete package would be good. All help will be good. I hope
to complete handouts/posters by beginning September, possibly before,
depending on the amount of discussion. We'll start with what we have and
develop it in the light of experience: each person leading a new event
could use and develop what was there and lead with their choice of ideal
distro for newcomers. We can compare notes on the number and type of
followup questions/requests/problems. Web pages would also be good, as
you suggested, and easily updated and accessible.

It is of course, always possible this has already been done, but no-one
has said so yet.

james kilty
http://www.kilty.demon.co.uk