Re: [LUG] link with computer shop now GNU/Linux beginners session

On Sunday 08 July 2007 20:29, james kilty wrote:

> I wanted to keep it simple. Whilst showing a few distros might be good,
> giving a narrow choice would make the first session easy and more
> reliable, hence my preference for Ubuntu 7.04 Live DVD. I personally
> prefer to offer what I have experience of, and will try Fedora soon and
> the latest OpenSuse. I have found Knoppix Live CD excellent.

Much as I love Knoppix - I carry it as part of my PC repair suite whenever I
am called to fix yet another Windows problem - it is a little bit OTT perhaps
for the beginner maybe. The Ubuntu family are what I use personally, so I
would tend to go for those, but I can appreciate there are other equally good
live disks out there. PCLinuxOS was mentioned - and that is available on this
months LXF - as is Fedora.  One thing I did find good with PCLinuxOS is that
it does use (albeit slightly rebadged) the old Mandrake control panel stuff
which is always good.
The best option for which live CD to use is to pick whatever the demonstrator
is used to. Familiarity with the system helps when explaining/demonstrating
the product.
James, I don't know if you have seen the Ubuntu-UK mailing list, but they are
working on leaflets for distributing at such events as this. Of course, they
are Ubuntu specific in the main, but most of the stuff is general.
It can be found on the wiki for the ubuntu-uk group at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UKTeam/Leaflets
specifically, the Hadenough leaflet. Although not really quite finished, they
are worth a look for possible future use or maybe as an idea for some more
generic leaflets for handing out perhaps?

Mark