Re: [LUG] link with computer shop now beginners session

Dear all

Mike (Stinga) and I had a splendid chat with Stephen Roddha at Penzance
Computers in his icafe. He is happy to host an event on a Sunday in
September and provide computers with a disc image to replace his own.
This will allow us to demonstrate dual booting or even over-installing a
Linux distro. He is also happy to set up different distros on his
computers. He can set up a projector screen.

He is happy with the publicity that would inevitably come out of the
event, as we will undoubtedly get coverage in the local newspaper (the
Cornishman, perhaps West Briton and Western Morning News) the local
radio (Atlantic, BBC Cornwall and Pirate FM) and who knows, TV. He is
even happy to contribute to costs and press his business partner, who is
a graphics artist, into action.

There are a few things we'd like to discuss with the List. My idea is to
show a Live CD (they can then try them out and take one away);
demonstrate an install using the recommended dual boot option; show the
necessary steps to get a working Internet connection and update; also
install an example of software not in the basic install. Offer the
opportunity to install on one of PzC's computers or their own laptops
brought in to the session. We also think a follow-up/second session
would be good a couple of weeks later.

The other thing we discussed was installing to a new hard disk.
Obviously there is the option of a complete wipe of the existing OS!

There would have to be a useful handout covering essentials such as
backup, prune and defragment before repartitioning;
resume of the steps involved in installing, updating etc;
solving hardware issues with a best practice recommended before laying
out on new hardware (like using a router; checking lists of supported
hardware - NB the lists of printers supported in Ubuntu and Suse are
impressive);
making a rescue disc (or having a second live distro like Knoppix?);
different distros available and some idea of the best first step (IMHO
the best introduction is actually Ubuntu, with the proviso that once
they feel confident, there are many other options to learn about);
links to supported hardware;
links to online tutorials;
links to online support.

There was a question about how reliable repartitioning for a dual boot
would be, but having done this myself twice with different distros, and
having used the gui of Gparted after an install, without problems, I
maybe have misplaced confidence. What do you think is best for someone
completely new, interested in the possibility of using GNU/Linux?

I am quite happy to draft a handout and pass it by you good folk, but I
realise there may already be one recently made.

Comments and suggestions please.

james kilty
http://www.kilty.demon.co.uk