Re: [LUG] Programs which start on login

On Sun, 13 May 2007 17:25:43 +0100
> > I have my own web-site which includes mysql (v4.1.20) , php (v5.0.4) and
> > apache (v2.0.55). (These are updated about twice a year, so the actual
> > versions could have moved on since I last looked.)
>
> I'm assuming that means that it's hosted on someone else's server.

Yes, that is correct.

> > I also have all three programs on my own computer (running Kubuntu
> > Edgy). At the moment I have not worked out if it is possible to test
> > any php files which I create, on my own computer. So I upload them  to
> > my web site and test them there. Well that's OK if there is no other
> > way.
>
> It should work already- all you need to do is install apache, mysql and
> php, enable php in apache (possibly already done), enable mysql in php
> (probably already done) start apache and mysql and voila!

I think that this is where you assume too much knowledge on my part.
The three programs (mysql, php and apache) were automatically included
as part of the installation when I set up kubuntu on my computer. When
I get the computer up and running they all three are already running.
If I create a php file on my computer and want to run it to see if it
does what I expect, how do I do that? I mean without using my web-site,
or can't it be done?

If I transfer the file to my website I can use Firefox to run it and it
works. At least if I have got it right it works. But I can't work out
how to run in directly from my own computer hard disc.

Neil Winchurst