Re: [LUG] Programs which start on login

On Sun, 13 May 2007 12:55:45 +0100
Neil Williams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'd recommend learning PHP the better way: get a PHP book and use the
> standard packages that have had the bugs removed.

As one Neil to another, thanks for all your help. I take your advice to
heart.

I have my own web-site which includes mysql (v4.1.20) , php (v5.0.4) and
apache (v2.0.55). (These are updated about twice a year, so the actual
versions could have moved on since I last looked.) I have been working
with HTML and CSS and now I would like to learn PHP. I have quite a lot
of programming experience (starting with Basic, but we won't talk about
that!), the most recent being Python.

I also have all three programs on my own computer (running Kubuntu
Edgy). At the moment I have not worked out if it is possible to test
any php files which I create, on my own computer. So I upload them  to
my web site and test them there. Well that's OK if there is no other
way.

I realise that I could do with a good book on PHP, but easier said than
done. There are so many around, and I am just confused about which to
choose. If you have any recommendations, I would be very pleased to
hear them.

I am not new to computing, but I am new to having a web site and all
that that entails. And, I am always ready to be advised and guided by
lug members, most of whom are way more skilled and knowledgeable than I
will ever be.

Hoping for some recommendations

Neil Winchurst