Re: [LUG] Programs which start on login

On Sun, 13 May 2007 10:12:00 +0100
Neil Williams <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, 13 May 2007 09:13:35 +0100
> Neil Winchurst <neil@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > > Usually Apache and MySQL start at boot, not at login.
> > Perhaps it would be better for me to simply stop the programs in a
> > terminal screen. I know how shutdown mysql. Apache is the problem.
> > Until yesterday I didn't even know it was running all the time.
> >
> > How do I stop apache please, that is the equivalent of mysqladmin
> > shutdown?
>
> Why? What is the problem with apache? Normally, GNU/Linux processes
> take up very few resources as daemons. Without apache, http://localhost
> won't work. It seems more than a little pointless to stop apache at
> each login -

Thanks to all who replied for their help.

What it the problem with apache? Nothing at all. Now I understand a bit
better I will leave apache and mysql running.

The reason for my question is that I have downloaded Xampp in order to
learn about PHP and linking it with mysql. (www.xampp.org). Xampp
includes its own versions of apache and mysql so I need to stop my
current versions before I start Xampp. Now that I know a bit more, once
I have finished playing with Xampp I will restart both apache and mysql.

Again, many thanks for all the info. Sigh ...still so much to learn.

Neil Winchurst